Sunday, June 2, 2013

Short Story #12: The Border Crossing

Prompt: Write a short story that could be entitled "The Border Crossing." (Word count: 258)

* * * * *
In the trunk, Vera held her breath. Fritz’s conversation with the guard was just audible.

“No, I’m sure I haven’t. Believe me, if I had, I’d be someplace warm with her, not driving to my mother-in-law’s to get my wife.”

Vera smiled. She could guess the photo: her 8x10 from Carmen.

“Murder? Her?”

She’d explained to Fritz that she needed to leave Austria; she’d killed a man in self-defense. A politically-connected jealous ex-lover. Not a good man. He said he believed her, but was that before or after she’d kissed him? She couldn’t remember.

“My trunk?” The sound of the car door, footsteps, a key. “Is there a reward?”

The guard quoted a figure well over thirty pieces of silver.

Fritz had insisted he wouldn’t betray her; he’d dealt with the man, definitely not a good person. He’d assured her that the hidden compartment couldn’t be spotted, certainly not covered by blankets and a suitcase.

“The luggage? Sleeping over at my mother-in-law’s. I’d rather not, but my wife wants to return tomorrow when the border opens, not wait an hour after I cross and another coming back. If I had that reward, though, she could afford a cab. Hang on—” Fritz rooted through the trunk. “You’re shivering. Want a blanket?”

Vera suppressed a scream.

“No?” The trunk slammed.

Relieved, Vera gasped.

“What sound? A bird, I think. Yes, there it goes.”

Like the bird, Vera’s spirit soared as they crossed to freedom.

–30–

No comments:

Post a Comment